Friday, January 25, 2008

1 billion in 26 months

Here's my two cents on Guitar Hero III. I love it. I love it more than I love Rock Band. And mind you, Rock Band is a good and fun game, but it just doesn't keep me there for far too long. I don't know. Maybe it's because how boring the guitar play is. Maybe it's the okay list of songs available, even despite it having lots of downloadable songs every week. But truth is, I love Guitar Hero III more despite the lack of songs you get to download. Well, turns out I'm not the only one who thinks so. The world seems to love Guitar Hero too.

According to Activision, the Guitar Hero series have managed to garner over US$1 billion within 26 months while selling 14 million units. That's impressive, considering that the franchise was first developed by Harmonix (the creator of Rock Band). In a 1up article, they mentioned that Activision also claimed that Guitar Hero III has set an industry record (again) as the best selling title in a calendar year.

It was also mentioned that, despite their lack of downloadable songs, Guitar Hero III has surpassed 5 million song downloads as opposed to Rock Band's 2.5 million. And I must say, I've downloaded all Guitar Hero III songs but only a few of Rock Band's (mostly Bowie, Metallica, Blink 182 and All American Rejects).

This just shows how consumers do not look at developers but really concentrate on the title of the game seeing how the creators of the original Guitar Hero has moved on to Rock Band and still Guitar Hero stands above the multiplayer rhythmic game.

No comments: